Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Popsicle Project

What and Who is the Popsicle?


The Popsicle is name of my awesome new trailer that I use for large festivals and events with a lot of people.  Just a few months ago she was sitting in our yard collecting dust and leaves.  She used to belong to mom.  She used for projects and businesses that she setup for her students in her entrepreneurship classes.  She had not been using it for about 3 or 4 years and was trying to sell it.  I asked if I could have to turn it into a dream ice cream machine.  She thought it was a great idea so she let me have it. She told me that I would have make the money to fix it up.  I started calling her the Popsicle - because  I knew when I fixed her up, she would make my sales POP! A LinkedIn connection and family friend suggested that I try to raise the money by setting up a crowd funding campaign through Indiegogo.  My mom asked me if I wanted to do it and I said yes. She warned me that we might not raise the entire $5,000, but I told her whatever we raised would help.

The Popsicle Project - by Beau Shell Click here to see video)
The Popsicle before she was remodeled. I was so happy my parents let me have her. 

By the end of the campaign, I had raised $3,169 of the $5,000 I was seeking. That was enough to go ahead with fixing up the Popsicle.  I needed her to be ready by June 14th.  This was the date of my first big event, Hot Corner Festival.  My parents picked her up from Jason Green, owner of Towable Tailgates, on the morning of June 14th (just in time for the festival).  We drove the trailer straight to the festival and I waited with her.  Please see the pictures from that day below.  We had an awesome time at the Hot Corner Festival. I learned about the history of African American businesses and entrepreneurs from Athens. I ate the best food ever, and I got a chance to hear some great music.  I hope to take the Popsicle back to Hot Corner Festival next year. Thanks to Dr. Tawana Mattox and Mr. Homer Wilson for letting me come.

My first time ringing the bell on the Popsicle. Best day of my life! Can't believe she is actually here.
My cousins can't believe the Popsicle is actually here! They are amazed!
Ready to work at the Hot Corner Festival.  Waiting on the ice cream and signs.

My brother Rock and Turtle helping me and hanging out at the Hot Corner Festival. 

Serving our customers!
Dr. McRae, my dentist, stopped by for a cool treat!
Since the Hot Corner festival the Popsicle has been very busy. Her next event, Athfest, was the very next weekend. Athfest was another great place for awesome music, kids activities (Kidfest), and great artists.  Athfest was a 3-day festival and the Popsicle had to stay overnight, but some very nice police officers watched over her and other tents both nights.  The second day of the Athfest was so busy because it was Kidfest.  We sold out of just about everything! It was great ice cream weather.  We made more signs for the Popsicle and signs so people would know it was me. I had an awesome time meeting new people and working with my family.  The Popsicle made it possible for me serve a whole lot of people because she can hold a lot of ice cream.  My family made it possible for me to have fun and feel loved while doing it.


Ready for business! Malia rings the bell

My favorite as of yesterday!

This is where I belong. I don't understand why Mom will not let me sleep in the Popsicle!

My doggie ice cream is always a hit!

My classmate from Athens Christian School
My grandmas hung in there with me all night. She's the coolest Grandma ever!

I know how it feels to want more than one!

Family is awesome!

Dad and Mom, my biggest fans and supporters.  

Out of town visitors. They came all the way from Atlanta to Athfest!

Work selfies with my brother Rock and cousin Malia!

The whole family before we left Athfest. Everyone worked hard to make sure everything went well.  

The most recent event that the Popsicle worked was the 4th of July Fireworks at Georgia Square Mall.  This was the first event where the Popsicle had her wrapped graphics, which were produced and installed by Sign Bros.  We were working so hard on the 4th that we hardly took any pictures.  We got in a few at the end.

Serving the last customer of the night.  I worked so hard the whole day. I never had so much fun in my life.

Last picture before we close up the Popsicle for the night!

Met a fellow entrepreneur, Frankie of Fast Frankie Lemonade. He gave me a lot of great advice about never giving up on my dreams. 

As you can see the Popsicle has been busy.  I am glad I asked my parents to let me have her. I knew she had potential.  Her official reveal is next Thursday, July 17, 2014 at Ashford Manor in Watkinsville, Ga.  Check out the invite on the right side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment